Thomas Aquinas not only shaped the Church, but influenced
much of Western civilization. Who was this great saint? What
are some of his important writings? And how should we begin to read
his masterful Summa theologiae? Bishop Barron
offers some answers in this week's episode. A bright
14-year-old listener asks about Bertrand Russell's famous criticism
of Aquinas, and how to respond.
- 0:27 - Updates from Bishop Barron's
- 1:53 - How did Bishop Barron discover Thomas
- 3:23 - Who was Thomas Aquinas?
- 4:45 - Surveying Aquinas' major works
- 7:42 - Best entry-level books on Thomas
- 10:03 - Aquinas'
unique disputatio style
- 13:07 - How Thomas Aquinas would engage the
- 15:36 - Why is it worth reading Thomas
- 17:16 - How should we begin reading
the Summa theologiae?
- 19:40 - The landscape and structure of
- 21:44 - Why Aquinas is a spiritual
- 24:40 - Question from listener: how to respond
to Bertrand Russell's crtiqiue of Aquinas?
Find bonus links and resources for this episode at http://WordOnFireShow.com and
be sure to submit your questions at http://AskBishopBarron